Deciding your career at a young age is very challenging, if not impossible. Everyone has their own aspirations and these have to be matched with parents’ ambitions and peer-pressure. There is an inevitable conflict of interest that arises here.
Besides, students aren’t even aware of the several career opportunities that have emerged in the last few years.
In fact, in a recent career-counselling study, it was found that a whopping 93% of students were aware of just career options, though there are at least 200 avenues available to them. It is no surprise then that students end up making the wrong career move thereby burying great potential, welcoming stress, performing poorly, and leading a very unsatisfied and uneventful professional life.
Wouldn’t it be helpful to be able to talk to someone who listens to all sides of the story and provides you with career choices that are meant for you?
Career Counselling is your answer!
The business environment is fast-changing, newer technologies are disrupting existing structures and there is more! Hence, choosing a career for life has become all the more important and 85% of students aren’t even equipped to make a decision. Thus, the need for career counselling is being felt now more than ever before. Here are some more reasons why career counselling must drive things forward for Indian students.
- The foundation of a career is usually laid out by the aptitude, interest, and personality of a student. But most students overlook these important factors while deciding their careers. They choose the path taken by friends or suggested by family, which, in many cases, might spell disaster. A career counsellor makes a huge difference here by connecting the dots with an assessment of aptitude, interest, and personality. The students eventually understand where their skills fit most and choose the best option for them.
- Most career choices are ad-hoc. Career counselling brings the science there to make it strategic and impactful. After all, it’s your “career”. Remember, what Steve Jobs used to say,
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life”
A Career Counsellor reduces and removes the guesswork creating a safe environment for a student.
- Often students suppress their choices and obey their parents simply to avoid conflict. However, this is career suicide. A good career counsellor offers them the freedom to share their thoughts and choose the best option after a mutual discussion.
When Must Career Counselling Take Place?
A career counsellor at the right age can make a huge difference. Right when they enter high school is when most students begin to wonder about the career they would like to be in. It is also the time they are most likely to be influenced into making an incorrect choice by their parents, peers or friends.
At this time, a career counsellor can pull students out of their dilemmas, if any or help them address problem areas that seem to be obstacles to their ideal careers.
How to Choose the Right Career Counsellor?
It has been found that 86% of students are very concerned about their career and that there is a shortage of 1.4 million career counsellors. Amidst this massive dearth of career counsellors, it is crucial that you work with someone who is effective.
- The right career counsellors must be able to put the client at ease and to obtain the right information.
- They must possess strong research skills and stay updated on what’s new in the education space. This is a highly-required quality, the lack of which, might make them redundant.
- They must know what to assess and how to assess the same. For this, they must be well-aware of several popular assessment tests, especially for students.
- Good career counsellors are great listeners, empathetic and well versed with human psychology. It’s highly important for them to understand their clients, their apprehension and preferences, find the best solution and prepare them for that.
- A good program makes a world of difference. Take The Global Career Counsellor program from UCLA Extension as an example. It’s an all-in-one guide to know about career counselling- from techniques and trends to the best practices. This program enables individuals to hone their skills as a trained career counsellor and assist students in making responsible decisions for their future.
If you are looking for career counsellors with the above mentioned qualities, reach out to us today! We will help you choose a career that you love and excel at.